My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I like writing articles that help bring people closer together.
What Can You Do at a Sleepover?
Are you planning a sleepover? Well, that’s just fabulous! Inviting a bunch of your closest friends to sleep overnight at your place is always a blast. You're sure to make many memories and inside jokes.
You'll find lots of options of things to do at a sleepover, but that doesn't mean that all of them will be fun. Forget cards and boring board games. Use this time to connect with your friends. Doing this may involve putting everyone's phone away for a night, a seemingly daunting task these days. The question you need to answer is: how are you going to keep everyone busy for so many hours without getting bored?
If you have a dull sleepover, your friends may not want to stay over again. We can't have that happen, so here's a list of 10 fun activities to help you out!
10 Fun Sleepover Activities for Girls
- Makeovers: Who doesn’t enjoy the occasional makeover? From dressing up each other’s hair and makeup to painting nails fun colors, find ways to make everyone look and feel beautiful. Go the extra mile by busting out a camera and striking some poses together!
- Spa Night: Steam up the bathroom for a sauna and give each other facials and massages. Every girl deserves to be pampered sometimes, and a sleepover is a perfect opportunity! Your bodies will thank you. You’re welcome.
- Play Manhunt: Manhunt is a classic favorite. This is not the ordinary game of “hide-and-seek” you played as a child. It always happens outside in the dark. If you live on a large piece of property or have wooded areas nearby, Manhunt is even more fun! Be safe and bring flashlights.
- Watch Movies or TV: Watching a movie or two is the perfect way to wind down after a long night of fun. Grab a big bowl of popcorn and pop in your favorite DVD or television series. You probably won’t end up paying much attention to the screen, but that’s even better!
- Bonfire: You'll need adult supervision for this one. Start a bonfire, roast marshmallows, and make s’mores! Tell scary stories or secrets by the light of the fire. This is a night with your friends, so make some memories!
- Camp: If you and your friends are okay with roughing it, try camping somewhere. Even if it's just in your backyard, camping can be a whole lot of fun if you do it right.
- Truth or Dare: This is another classic favorite that should be on everyone’s list of things to do at a sleepover! Choose carefully and proceed with caution, I double-dog dare you!
- Swim: Swimming is always a blast, but everyone knows that swimming at night takes the fun to a whole new level! Invent games using glow sticks, and you can have yourself a glow pool party!
- Pig Out: Everyone loves food, especially good food. Sleepovers are a great excuse to stuff your face with indulgent foods like popcorn, chips, soda, and chocolate! Just don’t forget to brush your teeth before bed!
- Pranks: If there are parents, siblings, or even friendly neighbors around, pull a harmless prank or two. Not only will you all be entertained, but you will also remember this night forever. Just make sure your victim has a good sense of humor!
6 Fun Sleepover Activity Ideas for Boys
- Water Balloon (or Silly String) Battle: Divide into teams to make the battle more strategic and entertaining. Go outside for this one, or your mom will put an end to the fun before it begins.
- Skateboard, Bike, or Scooter Obstacle Course: Set up obstacles around the yard (a pile of leaves, a stack of cardboard boxes, etc.) and take turns maneuvering around them. See who can go the fastest, and add more complicated obstacles to add excitement.
- Wrecking Ball: Build a tower of paper cups together. See how big you can get it! Then hang a string from the ceiling or an overhead tree branch, tie a ball to it, and take turns swinging the wrecking ball to knock the tower down.
- Glow Bowling: This is a game to play in the dark, either indoors or outside. Fill ten empty plastic 1-liter soda bottles with water, then drop a glow stick into each one. Line them up like bowling pins, then take turns rolling a bowling ball (or another big, heavy ball) to knock them down.
- Spoonful of Taste Test: Choose eleven foods and number them from 2 to 12. Take turns rolling two dice twice: Each roll selects one ingredient to add to the spoon. After two rolls, the player has a spoonful of two ingredients to eat. For example,
#2 peanut butter (ask about allergies first)
#3 marshmallow fluff
#4 ice cream (pick an unusual flavor like banana or green tea)
#6 whipped cream
#7 soy sauce
#8 extra-spicy chips (crush them to use as a sprinkle)
#9 potato chips or french fries
#10 corn nuts or corn chips
#11 relish or pickle juice
#12 cottage cheese or sour cream
If a player rolls a 4 and then an 10, he eats a spoonful of banana ice cream mixed with corn nuts. If someone rolls double, they get to choose the second ingredient.
- Would You Rather: Set this one up before the party starts by writing questions on slips of paper, folding them, and putting them into a hat or bowl. Example questions: Would you rather be famous during your lifetime and forgotten after death or unknown during your lifetime but famous after death? Would you rather look 10 minutes into your own future or 10 minutes into anyone else's? Would you rather live alone for the rest of your life or be continuously surrounded by irritating people?
Fun Games to Play at a Sleepover (for Girls or Boys)
- Talent Show: Everyone performs their best (or worst, or silliest, or most annoying) talent. Award prizes!
- Pillow Fight: Who doesn't love a pillow fight? (But if someone prefers not to play, they can be the announcer and describe the action for everyone to hear!)
- Silly String Battle: Divide into two teams, go outside, have each team build a "player" out of empty cardboard boxes and set it up in agreed-upon areas. Give each team 5 minutes to come up with a strategy. The team that covers their opponent's "player" with the most silly string wins.
- Twister: This game is always fun: One player spins the board to find out where to place their hands or feet. More players join in and soon, everyone's all knotted together in a giant pile.
- Caterpoozles: This game entails everyone climbing into their sleeping bag head first and blindly wrestling with any other caterpoozle they come across. It's like a mash-up between caterpillars and bulldozers.
- Goofball: This is a game you play with a camera. Each player goes into the other room with a camera, takes a selfie, then comes back in and hands the camera/phone to the next player. After everyone is done, take a look at all the photos and give a prize to the goofiest.
- Personal Chef: Making food together can be a lot of fun and it's a great way to make sure all your guests get exactly what they want to eat. Set out a bunch of different ingredients for personal pizzas or tacos and have each guest build their own meal. You could also make s'mores or decorate your own cupcakes. If you don't have any way to build a fire, you can even roast marshmallows inside over a stove burner. For breakfast, you could have a build-your-own pancake or waffle bar.
- Now or Later: Set out a bowl full of small, different-colored candies like Skittles or M&Ms. A player closes their eyes, selects two from the bowl, pops them in their mouth, then shows the other players which colors they have in their mouth. If the candies are the same color, then that player gets to eat them now. . . but if they're different, the player has to hold them in their mouth until their next turn. As soon as two of the colors in your mouth match, you can eat the whole mouthful! This only works when the player selects blindly and doesn't know which colors they have in their mouth.
Of course, girls might also like the games listed under "Boys Sleepover Ideas," too!
Hilarious and Harmless Pranks to Play During a Sleepover
Pranks are a blast as long as they aren't dangerous and no one gets hurt or upset. Before playing any of the pranks on this page, be sure you know your audience well. If you think someone is likely to feel upset, singled-out, or hurt by any of these pranks, focus on a different activity instead.
Pranks to Play on Your Guests
- Alarm Clock: Set an alarm to go off in the middle of the night. Hide the alarm in the room so nobody can find it to turn it off!
- Tickle Tickle: Gently tickle a sleeping friend and see how they react. Use a feather or just the very tip of a finger.
- Clothes Swap: After everyone is asleep, empty the contents of their sleepover bags into a big pile, mix it all together, then re-fill each bag with random items. When they try to get dressed, they'll be completely confused.
Pranks You and Your Guests Can Play Together
- Mailbox Shenanigans: If you have a bunch of friendly neighbors with senses of humor and no dangerous health conditions, you could put rubber snakes or plastic lizards in their mailboxes.
- Whipping Cream:L Go out at night and draw smiley faces on all your neighbor's cars or lawns with cans of whipping cream.
- TP Tricks: If you have a friendly neighbor with a sense of humor, you can go out and throw toilet paper (TP) all over their car or front lawn. This entails taking a new roll of toilet paper, unrolling it a bit to form a tail that will help the unrolling, and throwing the rest of the roll over a bush, car, or tree.
- More TP Pranks: Take some toilet paper or a paper towel and shove it into the toes of a parent or sibling's shoes. Make sure to pack it in so they can't tell there's something in there—they'll just think their feet have suddenly grown too big for their shoes!
4 Tips to Keep in Mind for a Great Sleepover
While you're planning your awesome slumber party, make sure to keep the following tips in mind to create a fun experience for everyone:
- Everyone has a different personality, so some of these activities may suit some but repulse others.
- Try to find a good balance of types of activities and include all of your guests.
- If necessary, have a few activities going on simultaneously so everyone is busy and happy. After all, they made a choice to spend their entire night with you.
- Don’t forget to mess with the first person that falls asleep. You know exactly what I mean! Just give everyone fair warning if you play by this rule to avoid upsetting someone. Do not fall asleep first, or else! Remember, even as host, you are not exempt from this rule!
I challenge you to do all of these things, even if it means you get no sleep. It'll be well worth it, and everyone will have a fun night to remember!
Guide to Hosting an Awesome Slumber Party
Questions & Answers
Question: What is your favorite prank at a sleepover?
Answer: Plastic wrap on doorways is a classic and it usually doesn't end terribly.
Question: Why do people like sleeping at a sleepover?
Answer: I'm not sure people "like" it so much as they need it. It's actually kind of hard to stay up all day and all night. The good news for you is that you can use this to your advantage. When else would you have such a good chance to prank your friends? Just don't be the first one to fall asleep!
Megan on August 16, 2020:
Spoonful of Taste Test sounds so fun! 100% doing this!
EV on August 14, 2020:
i'm going to my friends house and shes the host and we dont really do most of these things but i think that this was pretty good i will surly have a great time now. :) :D
Alice on July 31, 2020:
Thanks for the help I'm so excited for my sleepover
jammy chang on July 19, 2020:
my daughter and her friends had an amazing time thanks to this article
Sleepover Sister on June 22, 2020:
I love to hang with my bestie, you guys should come up with nicknames for each other, It is super fun sitting and coming up with them. some are super hilarious!!
Lisa on June 05, 2020:
Wow this really helped!!!
Amaya on May 24, 2020:
This was the best sleepover ever, Thanks to this ARTICLE!!!!♥️
Mimi on May 12, 2020:
I love it but maybe ad some more fun things
happybirthdaywishes12 on April 06, 2020:
Thanks for sharing this amazing post.
Danielle on April 04, 2020:
This helped a lot! I loved the game ideas!
arissa on March 17, 2020:
can you make 40 more we love making a big list thank you this is really helpful.
Denym on March 13, 2020:
I have some friends at my sleepover and I have a list.
hi on March 07, 2020:
i cant wait for my sleep over
hard hat lady on February 22, 2020:
this was amazing good job my boys loved them
Josie on February 17, 2020:
The bast Sleep over hanging out with friend
karli on February 15, 2020:
fuck yall on February 14, 2020:
what makes u think i have friends
Hailey on February 07, 2020:
This was great for my sleepover!
molly on February 05, 2020:
ahahahah thanks didn't think of one of them and it helped :)
James on February 01, 2020:
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSS QUEEN SLAY. you got sister this made me have a great time
lucy on January 31, 2020:
um... I only liked ummmm let me think
. on January 30, 2020:
This website just made my sleepover the best one ever!!!
Foxa on January 27, 2020:
This didn’t really help
Jess on January 21, 2020:
Wow i only like one
None of your business on January 19, 2020:
keira on January 06, 2020:
some of these have been realy useful, but i've heard of them all before
Alexis on December 28, 2019:
Go onto Omegle text chat
Kitty cat on December 23, 2019:
I’m having a sleepover on Friday and these ideas were kinda helpful
I don’t fell like to read on December 07, 2019:
I don’t get it ( read my name )
Teegs on December 02, 2019:
My friend and I are going to have a sleepover it will be so fun:)
Fucking sexist on November 29, 2019:
look at the name
These ideas r shit on November 23, 2019:
My name literally tells you
Super Sara :) on November 10, 2019:
plz add more content :)
Erica on November 01, 2019:
This kind of helped they were alright
heyboo on October 08, 2019:
yeah I agree with Natasha more fun stuff
natasha on September 29, 2019:
could you please add more fun stuff
marktenkle2969 on September 12, 2019:
i really like the caterpoozle idea sounds like such a great way to make friends that last a life time. the only issues is that some people might not be able to breathe..... but sounds like a blast nonetheless!!
Skitz on September 06, 2019:
We’ve played Truth Or Dare already, and it gets boring when nobody wants to do the dares chosen. We pretty much have no food in the house so a few of these “things” to do, we can’t. We also can’t give each other facials without facial materials... can’t swim because going to a pool costs money and it’s freezing cold... watching movies gets boring after like 5 minutes. Drawing gets boring. Can’t cook when you don’t have even half of the ingredients. We can’t play pranks on anyone because they’ll just yell at us. So anyone else have any useful suggestions?
Lilly on September 01, 2019:
Sleepover soon cant wait gonna prank my mates
gretta on August 31, 2019:
i’m having a sleepover with my pregnant boyfriend and he’s hurting me, give me advice !
Raegan on August 31, 2019:
I agree with you Courtney
Courtney on August 26, 2019:
I'm having a sleepover just me and my best friend tomorrow night, so if you could, please add some stuff for just a 2 person sleepover. Almost all of these are aimed towards a group sleepover and tbh, I dont have that many friends :P
lexi on August 26, 2019:
no one cares about you so bye have a nice life.
Ben Dover on August 21, 2019:
Ma bois said these would be lit fam for our party next week bruv pretty wack tho but will think abt mate much appreciated plus we ain’t no normal bois we well mad tho
Me on August 20, 2019:
This was pretty helpful. Thank you.
Mia-rose on August 20, 2019:
Nice ideas I am going to a sleepover on Thursday
Cara Noel on August 19, 2019:
I'm going too a sleepover tomorrow ill use some ideas
Mya on August 18, 2019:
Yay I am having. A sleepover today right now
Dobby fan 2233 on August 14, 2019:
I'm having a sleepover tomorrow night some of these aren't really chill so could u add some chill stuff as we can't really make any noise
Geena on August 14, 2019:
On Saturday,I am going on a sleepover at my cousin’s house and these ideas will really come in handy.
my butt on August 12, 2019:
need more ideas and more fun ones
Ocean and Rochelle on August 04, 2019:
We're not even allowed to do these things so could u add some more chill thing please luv chu
kaitlyn on August 04, 2019:
i really like this website because I’m having a sleepover tonight and I needed a lot of things to do and I couldn’t think of any and I just went onto this website and boom I just got all my answers is just so helpful
Grace Mmmmwwaaaa on August 03, 2019:
So I have just tried this prank while he/she is distracted quietly turn off the lights but if you have a tv in turn that off a bit before so it’s not all at the same time and while they try to find the light go and scare them
hadiraemac3 on August 01, 2019:
i love these but i think there should be more pranks cuz pranks are kinda my thing
Cadence on August 01, 2019:
You really don’t need to look up this site just do what you guys want and can do!✌️
Elephants on August 01, 2019:
Great ideas I don’t know why everyone is saying it’s bad
hhh on July 26, 2019:
these ideas are awesome excerpt maybe a few more but overall very helpful!
Me on July 26, 2019:
need more ideas
jenny on July 26, 2019:
this is the best because i started at on thing to do now I have 53 things to do
Madison on July 22, 2019:
This site didn't help me my friend and i are planing a sleepover and this did not help at all it isnt laggy or anything but its just not helpful it has good quality though but not good ideas
Karen McIntosh on July 21, 2019:
This is helful i have a sleepover tomorrow somi will try this
Isabelle on July 20, 2019:
This sight was very helpful
I don’t know why I’m on this website on July 19, 2019:
I’m having a sleepover tomorrow and no idea what to do this isn’t a very good website
bob on July 16, 2019:
Ranibow Sprimkles on July 14, 2019:
sienna on July 10, 2019:
yeet on July 10, 2019:
Tyler Smith on July 10, 2019:
Have you ever met some one for the first time and alredy want to by a toster for thier bathtube.
Savannah on July 10, 2019:
These sleepover tips are super helpful! I'm trying to plan an epic sleepover, and let me tell you- most of my ideas are from here! Very helpful, thank you!
swcbvnjhgfvbhygtfrdccvbn on July 10, 2019:
Poopooohead on July 09, 2019:
I like sleep i need sleep leave me alone meanie weenie
UwU on July 08, 2019:
These are sooooooo dumb ideas. Who would not try this? ME. I. HATE. THESE. IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pusheen on July 03, 2019:
Hey, these are really helpful! I particularly loved the makeover and dressing up idea. I have a good friend and we have sleepovers every week, but it’s always the same activities and it gets boring. Thanks for the new choices!
BTS lover on July 02, 2019:
I’m gonna try this uwu
A person on June 29, 2019:
I think these ideas were very helpful and I like how you classified that girls may like the boys sleepover ideas. Ignore all the mean comments!
KikiSoe on June 28, 2019:
This is great I'm having a sleepover soon, thanks for the ideas. One thing though, it actually is harmful to your brain to not get enough or no sleep. So pleas dot push not sleeping. Other than that, thanks
Yeet on June 27, 2019:
I don't classify as a boy OR a girl, i am a toaster.
... on June 26, 2019:
I liked the suggestions but please don’t have separate “boy” and “girl” things just put them together bc it isn’t nice. Thanks.
Paola Reyes on June 21, 2019:
This really helped on my schedule for my sleepover today can’t wait for the guests to arrive so the fun can begin
PILLOW FIGHT QUEEN on June 20, 2019:
Useful but nobody ever has a "harmless "pillow fight!Its every MAN FOR THEMSELVES!!!
Faith Coors on June 19, 2019:
I love sleep overs I'm having one right now
Hannah on June 19, 2019:
This helped nothing we can’t even do any of these things
Mia joe on June 15, 2019:
Erm welll ????
Hi on June 15, 2019:
I am having a sleepover in an hour or to at my friends house and I want to have a lot of fun so this was very helpful
Hello on June 15, 2019:
Grace on June 14, 2019:
Yay I am having a sleepover in 3 hours This is perfect!!!!!
Josigirl!! on June 14, 2019:
I’m so excited to use these
day on June 12, 2019:
some are weird but i’ll get it a shot
Brayden on June 12, 2019:
candy on June 11, 2019:
I will try at least some of these
amelia on June 09, 2019:
i like this because i am having a sleepover tonight
goofy on June 08, 2019:
this website is awkward
E and J on June 08, 2019:
I loved all these great ideas and we had the best time together thank you
BAiley on June 07, 2019:
Thanks for giving me the he ideas I will have a fantastic sleepover because of u.
Mo on June 07, 2019:
Yay I’m excited I’m having a sleepover tonight and I’m gonna try some of these ideas!
Croissant on June 01, 2019:
Theyre fun if ur friend is nice and actually wants u to be there. im at one now and shes being a grump. And not fun at all. But they are fun when the people care you
myself on May 31, 2019:
This is okay, I vuess
Hi on May 30, 2019:
You guys are the best
GOOD JOB TO ALL OF YOU
Uglyperson on May 26, 2019:
this was very boring and basic I need more unique ideas!!