31 Quotes About August: The Summer's Finale
How we wish that the warmth of August could be stored in bottles to be poured out on the cooler temperatures to come later in the year! Still, there are many ways to appreciate the last of the summer heat while it is present. Keeping our bug repellent handy, we can enjoy outdoor activities with our school-age children while they are on holiday. Early morning or late evening walks, beach parties, cycling, theme parks, and barbecues with home-made ice cream at the end of the day come to mind.
The following 31 quotes—one for each day of the month—are gentle reminders of summer ingredients like sunshine and gardening that add to our joy throughout the season. We may conclude that August has some impressive qualities, after all.
About Insights on August
1."I love borders. August is the border between summer and autumn; it is the most beautiful month I know." ―Tove Jansson
2 "This morning, the sun endures past dawn. I realise that it is August: the summer's last stand." ―Sara Baume
3. "August brings into sharp focus and a furious boil everything I've been listening to in the late spring and summer." ―Henry Rollins
4. "August is the month of the high-sailing hawks. The hen hawk is the most noticeable. He is a bird of leisure and seems always at his ease. How beautiful and majestic are his movements!" ―John Burroughs
5. "Leaving any bookstore is hard, especially on a day in August, when the street outside burns and glares, and the books inside are cool and crisp to the touch." ―Jane Smiley
6. "In August most of Europe goes on holiday." ―Tony Visconti
7. "It's part of the American experience: We deal with mosquitoes in August." ―Monica Hesse
8. "August depresses me a little. I don't even feel like eating. And when I don't eat, that's a sure sign of stagnation." ―Willard Scott
9. "It is best to be born in April or August when the life-giving Sun is in its exaltation . . . for then we enter the sea of life on the crest-wave and are backed in the battle of existence by an abundant fund of vim and energy." ―Max Heindel
10. "August is a gentle reminder for not doing a single thing from your new year resolution for seven months and not doing it for next five." ―Crestless Wave
11. "August is a great month in the garden, with many flowers, including dahlias, sunflowers and other hot-coloured blooms at their peak." ―BBC Gardeners' World Magazine
12. "Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer." ―Jenny Han
About August Memories
13. "The brilliant poppy flaunts her head
Amidst the ripening grain,
And adds her voice to sell the song
That August's here again."
14. "August was nearly over - the month of apples and falling stars, the last care-free month for the school children. The days were not hot, but sunny and limpidly clear - the first sign of advancing autumn." ―Victor Nekrasov
15. "Every summer my mother would say, 'Get that job and hold on to it until August 30.'" ―Chris Matthews
16. "August used to be a sad month for me. As the days went on, the thought of school starting weighed heavily upon my young frame." ―Henry Rollins
17. "What happens is that every August photographers camp out in Hyannis Port. So anytime I go down to the beach, or go to the pier or whatever, there's no avoiding them." ―John F. Kennedy Jr.
18. "The west coast of Corsica on a boat in August is probably as beautiful as it gets." Antoine Arnault
19. "Take me to that island where people celebrate in the streets in August . . . Take me to Barbados." ―Charmaine J. Forde
20. "That smell of freshly cut grass makes me think of Friday night football in high school. . . .The cutting of the grass reminds me of the August practice." ―Garth Brooks
21. "We used to play football on the levee, with no shirts on in the summer - August in New Orleans - and my skin would turn red." ―Aaron Neville
22. "In August, the large masses of berries, which, when in flower, had attracted many wild bees, gradually assumed their bright velvety crimson hue, and by their weight again bent down and broke their tender limbs." ―Henry David Thoreau
About August Reflections
23. "Breathe the sweetness that hovers in August." ―Denise Levertov
The seasons between spring and autumn, comprising in the Northern Hemisphere
the warmest months of the year: June, July and August.
The period of finest development, perfection, or beauty previous to any decline; the summer of life."
25. "Today is the first of August. It is hot, steamy and wet. It is raining. I am tempted to write a poem." ―Sylvia Plath
26. "I love the little garden in the back of my family's brownstone in Brooklyn. Digging out there in the dirt is a joy for me, although by the time August rolls around and my roses have black spot, I need the break winter provides." ―Siri Hustvedt
27. "Less than a month ago all of August still stretched before us - long and golden and reassuring, like an endless period of delicious sleep." ―Lauren Oliver
28. "One day you discover you are alive . . . but, not long after, the sun goes out. Snow falls, but no one sees it, on an August noon." ―Ray Bradbury
29. "August is the month when wars start. It’s when the water dries up and the spirit begins to wither. Insomniacs pull down their shades and lock themselves in their rooms in August. Lifelong friends have fist fights. People feel like they’re going to burst. Sometimes they do." ―Al Aronowitz
30. "Youth is in a grand flush, like the hot days of ending summer; and pleasant dreams thrall your spirit, like the smoky atmosphere that bathes the landscape of an August day." ―Donald G. Mitchell
31. "The quiet August noon has come;
A slumberous silence fills the sky;
The winds are still, the trees are dumb,
In glassy sleep the waters lie."
―William Cullen Bryant
Month-Long Observances in August
- American Indian Heritage Month
- Black Business Month
- Boomers Making a Difference Month
- Bystander Awareness Month
- Child Support Awareness Month
- Children's Eye Health and Safety Month
- Get Ready for Kindergarten Month
- Happiness Happens Month
- Pedestrian Safety Month
- Psoriasis Awareness Month
- 31 Quotes About July and Its Significance
As summer heats up, we strip the jackets and matching shoes in favor of sleeveless wear and sandals. It's time for beach parties, barbecues, and nature hikes. Let's celebrate July in all of its mid-summer splendor!
- 30 Quotes About September: The Herald of Autumn
Cooler air and colorful leaves contribute to the welcoming attitude of September, the herald of autumn. Within these 30 quotes (one for each day of the month) are many reminders of why we maintain our zest for life as summer becomes autumn.
© 2020 Dora Weithers