31 Quotes About March: The Month of Expectations
More often than not, quotes about the month of March mention some aspect of nature. Some discuss wind and rain, others mention blooming flowers and budding trees, and a few ponder blue skies and white clouds. If only nature would arrange them in the right order and dispense them in appropriate amounts to create pleasant, comfortable days! But, as Tracy Chevalier informs us, March is "unpredictable."
These quotes are unpredictable too—different authors expect different situations in March. One author expects to have his hope of warmer days dashed by swift changes in the weather. One predicts boredom, while another hopes to feel joyful. Others expect the trees to bloom, the birds to sing, and the earth to wake up and put on its beautiful face. What do you expect from March?
About the Beginning of Spring
1. "Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn." ―Lewis Grizzard
2. "March’s birth flower is the daffodil. It’s all too appropriate that cheerful yellow flowers represent the first month of spring." ―FTD
3. "The seventeenth of March. In other words, spring. . . I mean those in the height of fashion, women or men - can they afford to wait any longer before buying their spring wardrobes?" ―Colette
4. "By March, the worst of the winter would be over. The snow would thaw, the rivers begin to run and the world would wake into itself again." ―Neil Gaiman
5. "March is the Month of Expectation.
The things we do not know -
The Persons of prognostication
Are coming now."
―Emily Dickinson, March is the Month of Expectation
6. "March brings breezes loud and shrill,
Stirs the dancing daffodil."
―Sara Coleridge, The Garden Year
7. "The stormy March is come at last,
With wind, and cloud, and changing skies,
I hear the rushing of the blast,
That through the snowy valley flies."
―William Cullen Bryant, March
8. "Saturday morning in late March.
I was alone and took a long walk . . .
Ice had broken up on the river
and the water rippled smoothly in blue light."
―Edward Hirsch, Late March
9. "Earthquakes mean March. . .
The sun of this month cures all.
Therefore, old women say:
Let the sun of March shine on my daughter,
but let the sun of February shine on my daughter-in-law."
― Anne Sexton, The Sermon of Twelve Acknowledgements
10. "It is the first mild day of March . . .
The redbreast sings from the tall larch
Then come, my Sister! come, I pray . . .
And bring no book: for this one day
We’ll give to idleness."
―William Wordsworth, To My Sister
11. "If you wed when March winds blow,
Joy and sorrow both you'll know. . .
Married when March winds shrill and roar,
Your home will lie on a distant shore."
―New Zealand Proverb
12. "There's joy in the mountains;
There's life in the fountains;
Small clouds are sailing,
Blue sky prevailing;
The rain is over and gone!"
13. "The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
a cloud come over the sunlit arch,
And wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March."
―Robert Frost, Two Tramps in Mud Time
14. "Come to the pane, draw the curtain apart,
There she is passing, the girl of my heart . . .
Tresses all truant-like, curl upon curl,
Wind-blown and rosy, my little March girl."
―Laurence Dunbar, My Little March Girl
15. "It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade." ―Charles Dickens
16. "It was the second week in March . . . The magnolia trees had already bloomed, and tulips, daffodils, and wildflowers were shooting up all around the convent's gardens." ―Rosanna Chiofalo
17. "March came in that winter like the meekest and mildest of lambs, bringing days that were crisp and golden and tingling, each followed by a frosty pink twilight which gradually lost itself in an elfland of moonshine." ―L.M. Montgomery
18. "In March the soft rains continued, and each storm waited courteously until its predecessor sunk beneath the ground." ―John Steinbeck
19."March was an unpredictable month, when it was never clear what might happen. Warm days raised hopes until ice and grey skies shut over the town again." ―Tracy Chevalier
20. "My worst job ever, this was when I was a kid, was picking potatoes on the back of a trailer in March. It was freezing, absolutely freezing. . . Once you do that for a day in March in the north of England, it makes you think there must be better jobs than this!" ―Ben Miles
21. “It was March. The days of March creeping gustily on like something that man couldn't hinder and God wouldn't hurry.” ―Enid Bagnold
Insights on March
22. "Song of Solomon 5:13: Lo, the flowery month is come! March winds and April showers have done their work, and the earth is all bedecked with beauty." ―Charles H. Spurgeon
23. "In March winter is holding back and spring is pulling forward. Something holds and something pulls inside of us too." —Jean Hersey
24. "Only those with tenacity can march forward in March" ―Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
25. "This is the perfume of March: rain, loam, feathers, mint." ―Lisa Kleypas
26. "After a certain age, time just drizzles down upon your head like rain in the month of March: you’re always surprised at how much of it can accumulate, and how fast." ―Elizabeth Gilbert
27. "Indoors or out, no one relaxes in March, that month of wind and taxes, the wind will presently disappear, the taxes last us all the year." ―Ogden Nash
28. "Our life is March weather, savage and serene in one hour. We go forth austere, dedicated, believing in the iron links of Destiny, and will not turn on our heel to save our life: but a book, or a bust, or only the sound of a name, shoots a spark through the nerves, and we suddenly believe in will." ―Ralph Waldo Emerson
29. "Boredom is . . . when the same naive flowers blossom again in the month of March." ―Iwan Goll
30. "How terrible a time is the beginning of March. In a month there will be daffodils and the sudden blossoming of orchards, but you wouldn't know it now. You have to take spring on blind faith." ―Beatriz Williams
31. "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." ―English Proverb
- Academy Awards Month
- American Diabetes Alert Month
- Employee Spirit Month
- Gender Equality Month
- Honor Society Awareness Month
- National Kidney Month
- National Nutrition Month
- National Social Work Month
- National Women's History Month
- 29 Quotes About February and What Makes It Special
It's always a fast ride through the short month of February. Enjoy the following quotes about some of the features that make February special in one way or another.
- 30 Quotes About April: Month of Re-Awakening
April awakens and blows a cool but not chilling breeze over the earth. People, plants, and animals join in on the springtime reawakening. What better way for sassy April to begin than with the zest and humor of All Fools' Day?
What do you expect from the Month of March?
© 2020 Dora Weithers