Sarah is a certified Hatha, Vinyasa, & Kundalini yoga teacher. She is an artist who believes in the importance of living a creative life.
Quotes on Art and Creativity
Art is a process. However, it is not always an easy one, as you may well know. There will be obstacles and barriers along the way that you must overcome before you can move on in your work. I find that one of the biggest blocks in creating art of any kind is simply getting started. Taking the first step, no matter how small, is the most important thing you can do. You will find that once you begin, everything else will soon follow.
Even after we have begun the art process, we may find ourselves feeling stuck."When this is the case, I look to other artists, storytellers, writers, and speakers for words of wisdom to help me begin again. We can learn from each other's experiences. Here is a collection of words of wisdom, thoughts, and ideas to get you back on the path of creation and keep on moving!
Inspirational Art Quotes
- “No matter what a budding artist’s background, education, or point of view, he or she must ultimately go to a room and become an inventor. Only in quiet moments of struggle will both success and joy manifest themselves.” —Robert Genn
- "Creativity is subtraction. What does this mean? One, getting really good at creative work requires a lot of time and attention, and that means cutting a lot of fluff out of your life so that you have that extra time and attention. And two, creativity in our work is often a matter of what we choose to leave out, rather than leave in—what is unspoken vs. spoken, what isn’t shown vs. what is, etc." —Austin Kleon
- "The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed - it is a process of elimination." —Elbert Hubbard
Quotes About Art
- "A painting requires a little mystery, some vagueness, and some fantasy. When you always make your meaning perfectly plain you end up boring people." —Edgar Degas
- "Great things are done by a series of small things brought together" —Vincent Van Gogh
- "Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it." —Vincent van Gogh
- "As practice makes perfect, I cannot but make progress; each drawing one makes, each study one paints, is a step forward." —Vincent van Gogh
- "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." —Vincent van Gogh
Thoughts on Art
- "Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can be explored only by those willing to take risks." —Mark Rothko
- "You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved." —Ansel Adams
- "Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures." —Henry Ward Beecher
- "When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college — that my job was to teach people how to draw. She stared at me, incredulous, and said, 'You mean they forget?'" —Howard Ikemoto
- "Artistic growth is, more than it is anything else, a refining of the sense of truthfulness. The stupid believe that to be truthful is easy; only the artist, the great artist, knows how difficult it is." —Willa Cather
- "Don’t think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." —Andy Warhol
Make something today (even if it sucks!). You may be surprised with what you come up with. Even though getting started is always the hardest part, it is much easier to build momentum after that initial step. Dance, paint, draw, play, and be inspired!
Jobeth on January 04, 2015:
You have the monopoly on useful iniaomatfon-rren't monopolies illegal? ;)
Ollie on January 03, 2015:
This is both street smart and intneligelt.