Inspirational Quotes for People With Depression
The World Health Organization estimates that 121 million people worldwide suffer from depression. I am one of those 121 million people. Maybe you are too. Maybe you know someone close to you who is affected by depression.
Although it may seem trivial to some, I have found great comfort in dark times in some of the following inspirational quotes about depression. To know others have experienced the darkness of depression and have seen the light at the end is sometimes all we need when we feel we are alone.
Quotes About Depression
For many people, in addition to feelings of sadness, numbness, and hopelessness, depression also comes with feelings of isolation and loneliness. It is my hope that the following quotes about depression will help sufferers feel less alone and misunderstood, and help find the words to talk about depression with others.
Depression is a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer.— Dorothy Rowe
- "Depression is the inability to construct a future." Rollo May
- "If you don't think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days." Kris Carr
- "A big part of depression is feeling really lonely, even if you're in a room full of a million people." Lilly Singh
- "It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch. I was overwhelmed by something I did not understand - my own brain." Matt Haig
- "That's the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it's impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key." Elizabeth Wurtzel
- "Depression, suffering and anger are all part of being human." Janet Fitch
- "At times, I feel overwhelmed and my depression leads me into darkness." Dorothy Hamill
- "We can alleviate physical pain, but mental pain - grief, despair, depression, dementia - is less accessible to treatment. It's connected to who we are - our personality, our character, our soul, if you like." Richard Eyre
- "It's often difficult for those who are lucky enough to have never experienced what true depression is to imagine a life of complete hopelessness, emptiness and fear." Susan Polis Schutz
These motivational quotes are great for developing the will to take action, even in the face of mental and emotional suffering. If you find one or two of the quotes 'click' with you, why not write them out on a piece of paper where you can see them in your daily life?
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.— John Wooden
- "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook
- "Don't let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was." Richard L. Evans
- "It has been my philosophy of life that difficulties vanish when faced boldly." Isaac Asimov
- "What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" Robert Schuller
- "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." St. Francis of Assisi
- "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain
- "The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can change his life by changing his attitude of mind." William James
- "Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Thomas Edison
- "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
- "Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory." George S. Patton
- "There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
- "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget about everything except what you're going to do now - and do it." William Durant
- "Minds are like parachutes, they function only when open." unknown author
- "Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life, as a dog does his master's chaise. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it, unearth it, and gnaw it still." Thoreau
- "When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don't see the one that has opened for us." Alexander Graham Bell
- "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers
Music Video of Inspiring Quotes
Quotes on Endurance
Most people who suffer from depression will experience some very low points in the course of their lives. Endurance is important in these difficult times.
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.— Helen Keller
- "A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl." Stephan Hoeller
- "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." Albert Camus
- "If you’re going through Hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
- "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong
- "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Martin Luther King Jr.
- "The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward." Abraham Lincoln
"The darkest hour has only sixty minutes." Morris Mandel
Quotes on Resilience
Resilience is the ability to overcome difficulties in order to thrive. People who live with depression are necessarily resilient individuals who make it through the bad days to reach moments of success and happiness. Let these quotes be a reminder that things will get better.
Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.— Helen Keller
- "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius
- "A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials." Chinese proverb
- "If you want to test your memory, try to recall what you were worrying about one year ago today." E. Joseph Cossman
- "Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese proverb
- “God does not give us overcoming life— He gives us life as we overcome.” Oswald Chambers
- "The harder you fall, the higher you bounce." unknown author
- “I think that little by little I'll be able to solve my problems and survive.” Frida Kahlo
- “You are not your past. You are the warrior that rose above it to become the example of someone who didn't survive, but thrived in creating the most beautiful last chapter of their life.” Shannon L. Alder
Quotes on Achievement and Victory
These quotes are good to keep in mind when working toward a goal and when faced with the ultimate outcome, whether positive or negative. Depression may make hope difficult, but it's still possible to work toward your goals even if you can not force yourself to quite believe in them. Remember that your effort still has value, and may still bring success.
Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.— F. Scott Fitzgerald
- "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting." Napoleon Hill
- "The key is not the will to win… everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important." Bobby Knight
- "A champion needs a motivation above and beyond winning." Pat Riley
- "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I Love to play.” Boris Becker
- "It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game." Grantland Rice
- "Never react emotionally to criticism. Analyze yourself to determine whether it is justified. If it is, correct yourself. Otherwise, go on about your business." Norman Vincent Peale
- "Imagination has a great deal to do with winning." Mike Krzyzewski
- "For me, winning isn’t something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream." Emmitt Smith
- "I was only 9 years old. At that time you don’t realize that you can work super hard and give everything you have and lose. It was the best message for me." Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
- "I’ve certainly had periods when I felt like life was winning and I was losing, so I think everybody can relate to that quandary — the temptation to give in, to give up, and then what It takes to keep going." Malcolm Gets
Quotes on Self Esteem
Remembering self-love and self-care are especially important when struggling with depression.
To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.— Oscar Wilde
"Self-care is never a selfish act—it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others." Parker Palmer
- "Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
"A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others why we take vacations, why we sleep late, why we buy new shoes, why we spoil ourselves from time to time. We feel comfortable doing things which add quality and beauty to life." Andrew Matthews
- "Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll." unknown author
"You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens." Louise L. Hay
- "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one." Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Nothing profits more than self-esteem, grounded on what is just and right." John Milton
- "Self-esteem is a powerful force within each of us... Self-esteem is the experience that we are appropriate to life and to the requirements of life." Nathaniel Branden
Quotes on Forgiveness
An important part of self-love and self-care, especially for people with depression, includes learning to forgive ourselves and others. Letting go of resentments is one of the best and kindest things we can do for ourselves.
To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.— Robert Muller
- "Issue a blanket pardon. Forgive everyone who has ever hurt you in any way. Forgiveness is a perfectly selfish act. It sets you free from the past." Brian Tracey
- "When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future." Bernard Meltzer
- "It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody." Maya Angelou
- "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you." Lewis B. Smedes
- "Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life." George MacDonald
- "We are all on a life long journey and the core of its meaning, the terrible demand of its centrality is forgiving and being forgiven." Martha Kilpatrick
Seeking Help for Depression and Suicidal Thoughts
If your depression becomes more than you can handle, I strongly encourage you to seek help. You do not have to face this alone. Please check out HealthLine's guide to getting help for your depression for an overview of treatment options and where to start. These psychologist-recommended tips for self-care can also be helpful in the meantime.
If you are having suicidal thoughts, please visit this simple, step-by-step guide for how to get help. There are multiple free options for whatever level of contact feel up to handling right now, whether it's online chat, talking to someone via web app, or talking over the phone.
I hope these quotes helped!
I really hope you enjoyed this list of motivating and inspiring quotes. If you have a favourite quote that has helped you through a time of depression please include it in the comment section below and I will add it as soon as I can.