31 Quotes About January and What Makes It Unique
What's So Special About January?
Some individuals love January because they welcome the lull that follows the hectic holiday season. Others dislike the effort it takes to begin again, whether that means going back to work, going back to school, or simply starting a new calendar year. January comes around every year like a train on schedule—whether it makes us want to sigh with relief or get revved up for a fresh start, we'd better get on board before it leaves the station.
The following quotes showcase some of the features that are unique about the month of January, like its premier position on the calendar and the different reasons certain people like and dislike it. I hope you reflect on some, smile at a few, and adopt others for personal inspiration. Enjoy!
About January First
1. "We spend January 1st walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives . . . not looking for flaws, but for potential." ―Ellen Goodman
2. "I'll never understand why everybody puts so much emphasis on January first. There are three hundred and sixty-four other days in the year that you can make a change." ―Elizabeth Eulberg
3. "The first day of January always presents to my mind a train of very solemn and important reflections and a question more easily asked than answered frequently occurs viz: How have I improved the past year and with [what] good intentions do I view the dawn of its successor?" ―Charlotte Brontë
4. "I love beginnings. If I were in charge of calendars, every day would be January 1." ―Jerry Spinelli
5. "On the first of January let every man gird himself once more, with his face to the front, and take interest in the things that are and are to be, and not in the things that were and are past." ―Henry Ward Beecher
About New Year's Resolutions
6. "I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second." ―Helen Fielding
7. "January is always a good month for behavioral economics: Few things illustrate self-control as vividly as New Year's resolutions. February is even better, though, because it lets us study why so many of those resolutions are broken." ―Sendhil Mullainathan
8. "New Year's resolutions have always been something to beat myself up with by the second week of January. It seems perverse to set yourself up for failure right at the start of the year." ―Romesh Ranganathan
9. "Call it 'the New Year’s resolution effect'— it’s why gyms that were crowded in January are only half full in July and why so many slightly used guitars are available on Craigslist." ―Anders Ericsson
10. "No one's ever achieved financial fitness with a January resolution that's abandoned by February." ―Suze Orman
About Fresh Starts
11. "New Year's Day. A fresh start. A new chapter waiting to be written." ―Sarah Ban Breathnach
12. "I like starting projects in January. That's the best time to start something. It's so inward." ―Carolyn Chute
The first month of the year,
A perfect time to start all over again,
Changing energies and deserting old moods,
New beginnings, new attitudes."
―Charmaine J. Forde
14. "Every man should be born again on the first of January. Start with a fresh page." ―Henry Ward Beecher
15. "We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." ―Edith Lovejoy Pierce
Insights About January
16. "January looks forward to the new year and back to the old year. He sees past and future." ―M.L. Stedman
17. "January is the calendar's ingrown hair." ―Stewart Stafford
18. "January was a two-faced month, jangling like jester’s bells, crackling like snow crust, pure as any beginning, grim as an old man, mysteriously familiar yet unknown, like a word one can almost but not quite define." ―Patricia Highsmith
19. "January? The month is dumb. It is fraudulent. It does not cleanse itself." ―Anne Sexton
"Married when the year is new,
He'll be loving, kind and true . . .
Married in January's roar and rime,
Widowed you'll be before your prime."
―New Zealand Proverb
21. "If I had my way, I would remove January from the calendar altogether and have an extra July instead." ―Roald Dahl
22. "January is the garbage can of movies in America, directly after all the Oscar contenders have been out." ―Michael Caine
23. "Feeling a little blue in January is normal." —Marilu Henner
24. "To read a poem in January is as lovely as to go for a walk in June." ―Jean Paul
25. "Let January open with joy in the Lord, and December close with gladness in Jesus." ―Charles H. Spurgeon
26. "Lots of people go mad in January. Not as many as in May, of course. Nor June. But January is your third most common month for madness." —Karen Joy Fowler
About January Weather
"Like January weather,
The years will bite and smart,
And pull your bones together
To wrap your chattering heart."
"January brings the snow,
Makes our feet and fingers glow."
29. "Leaving any bookstore is hard . . . especially on a day in January, when the wind is blowing, the ice is treacherous, and the books inside seem to gather together in colorful warmth." ―Jane Smiley
30. "It is deep January. The sky is hard. The stalks are firmly rooted in ice." ―Wallace Stevens
31. "January is the coolest month of the year for most of the Caribbean. . . daytime highs are typically comfortably hot, while the nights remain warm." ―Liz Osborn
According to holidays-and-observances.com, the following observances occur all month long every January. How many have you heard of?
- Be Kind to Food Servers Month
- Celebration of Life Month
- Disease Awareness Month for Cervical Cancer (also Thyroid and Tuberous Sclerosis)
- Eyecare Month
- Get Organized Month
- March of Dimes Birth Defects Prevention Month
- National Clean Up Computer Month
- National Soup Month
- National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
- Teen Driving Awareness Month
What is your attitude toward January?
- 29 Quotes About February and What Makes It Special
It's always a fast ride through the short month of February. Enjoy the following quotes about some of the features that make February special in one way or another.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Dora Weithers