I love writing about people who overcame great adversity to beat the odds and succeed in life.
Pick-Me-Up Quotes to Inspire You
"When one door closes, another one opens." -Alexander Graham Bell
- He worked day and night to perfect the telephone, despite his deafness.
"The most effective way to do it, is to do it." -Amelia Earhart
- She challenged stereotypes to fly across the world.
"There's still time to change the road you're on." -Led Zeppelin
“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” -Thomas Edison
- He was deemed "difficult" at school due to his hyperactivity. He was deaf due to illness. Despite this, Edison became an entrepreneur and eventually one of America's greatest inventors.
"Just keep swimming." -Dory from Finding Nemo
"If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -Martin Luther King Jr.
- Despite being whipped by his father as a child and suffering from depression for most of his life, he became one of the most prominent and important figures of the Civil Rights Movement.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan
- When he didn't make the basketball team in high school, he locked himself in his room and cried for days. When he emerged from his room, he had a goal, and he didn't stop until he achieved it. He made it to the NBA and won six championships with the Chicago Bulls, as well as numerous other awards.
“I said I could and I would. And I did.” -Nellie Bly
- Born as Elizabeth Cochran Seaman, she became an journalist to speak out in support of women factory workers towards the end of the Industrial Revolution. She later traveled the world and went undercover to expose abuse at a mental health facility.
"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -Dale Carnegie
"Use your knowledge, and your heart, to stand up for those who can't stand, speak for those who can't speak, be a beacon of light for those whose lives have become dark." -Julie Andrews
- She overcame childhood sexual abuse from a close relative to become one of our favorite, no-nonsense nannies in Mary Poppins. Her consistent career has spanned from musicals, to movies, to music.
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow." -Mary Anne Radmacher
"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection." -Thomas Paine
- Born in England, he became a face of the American resistance, publishing writing like, Common Sense and The American Crisis. These works helped to inspire the underdog Americans and keep the cause alive.
“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” -Nelson Mandela
- Born to a local chief, he became an activist to fight racism and unjust laws. He was famously arrested, sentenced to life, and was subsequently released. He later became President of South Africa.
“There is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” -A.A. Milne
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.” -Jack Sparrow
“The best advice I can give to anyone going through a rough patch is to never be afraid to ask for help.” -Demi Lovato
- She openly battles bipolar disorder and depression and is still one of the biggest personalities in the world. Plus, she has a killer voice!
“I am thankful for all of those who said no to me. It's because of them I’m doing it myself.” -Albert Einstein
- Einstein was a Jewish scientist, professor, and writer who barely escaped Nazi Germany with a $5,000 bounty on his head. He was a pacifist and supported civil rights--once saying that he did "not intend to be quiet" about racism. Einstein is probably most famous for his scientific theories, such as his Theory of Relativity.
“Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” -Harriet Stowe
- Ms. Stowe wrote one of the most powerful and eye-opening books, like Uncle Tom's Cabin, bringing awareness to the horrible injustices that the slaves were experiencing. She set a publishing record with this book and later became an advocate for women's' rights. She wrote over thirty pieces in her life.
“You just can’t beat the person who won’t give up.” -Babe Ruth
"Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world." -Lucille Ball
- She dealt with personal tragedy and defied expectations by featuring a Cuban husband in her ever-popular show, I Love Lucy.
"I take rejection as someone blowing a bugle in my ear to wake me up and get going, rather than retreat." -Sylvester Stallone
- He was once homeless until he got his big break in Rocky.
"Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are." -Lady Gaga
- Also known as Stefani Germanotta, she paid her dues at numerous small clubs for over ten years. Lady Gaga is an accomplished singer, songwriter, and actress, and continues to support human rights.
"I believe that tomorrow is another day, and every day is a fresh start.” -Audrey Hepburn
Have a great day, Everybody! Remember to breathe.
© 2017 Lauren Sutton