I love family gatherings. They give us a chance to learn about and celebrate our heritage.
Some quotations say so much in just a sentence or two. When I find particularly good ones, I like to jot them down so I can use them regularly. Since I am a family history buff, the quotes that I usually collect tend to be about family. Here are just a few of the ways I use these quotes.
How I Use These Quotes
- Above my signature on Christmas and other greeting cards
- On the back of correspondence envelopes
- Throughout a genealogy book
- In letters to loved ones
- Throughout a scrapbook or family photo album
- Interspersed in a slideshow of family photographs
- As a prelude or caption on any articles I write
- On the wall with a group of family photos
- After each email signature line
- In a genealogy newsletter
- On a quilt label
Quotes can set the tone and mood for a document or item. They remind my loved ones about the importance of family without it feeling like I'm nagging them. Quotes can also serve as themes for collections of photos. Including a quote about family in an album, montage, or display shows that we are more than just a random group of people—we're our people. We are family. And a well-chosen quote can help describe what kind of family we are.
Of course, I also enjoy reading these quotes and trying to apply the lessons that lie within them to my own relationships. I hope you enjoy reading them and using them in your work and life as well.
Quotes About Family and Relatives
- “As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine a life without her.” —Kristin Hannah
- “Families are like puzzles. They fit together in a certain way, and if one piece is missing, it throws everything off.” —Richard Schiff
- “I carry my roots with me all the time rolled up, I use them as my pillow.” —Francisco X. Alarcón
- “Is this what family is like: the feeling that everyone’s connected, that with one piece missing, the whole thing’s broken?” —Trenton Lee Stewart
- “It didn't matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.” —Peter Buffett
- “People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” —Edmund Burke
- “The heart of a person only beats when it's surrounded by blood, by family.” —Erica Goros
- “When you study history, you're really studying yourself. Every bit of history I've uncovered about my own family has some remnant in myself.” —John Sedgwick
- “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.” —Frank Buechner or W. Paul Young
- “You may have a lot of friends, but you only have one family” —Eugene Levbid
- “The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.” —Victor Hugo
- “Mother is a verb. It's something you do. Not just who you are.” —Cheryl Lacey Donovan
- “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live.” —Pope John Paul II
- “There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.” —Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “I'm not really dying today. No person ever died that had a family. I'll be around a long time. A thousand years from now, a whole township of my offspring will be biting sour apples in the gumwood shade.” —Ray Bradbury
- “The histories of the poor and the powerless are as important as those of their conquerors, their colonizers, their kings and queens.” —Johnnetta B. Cole
Where to Find Family Quotes
Quotes are everywhere—in books, in movies, and on the internet. The best ones are often found where you'd least expect them. Sure, you can find some wonderful quotations in a self-help book or an anthology of poems, but you may also be able to find gems in the most unexpected places. You can find them on the back of a cereal box, in a commercial, or in the words of a loved one. Asking children an open-ended question often yields some wonderful quotes. Try asking, "what is family?"
Even though it is generally best to not take words out of context, sometimes a quote taken out of context becomes even more meaningful. If you find one that is almost right but not quite, feel free to change it and make your own so that fits the occasion.
More Sayings About Family and Heritage
- “The family—that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to.” —Dodie Smith
- “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.” —George Moore
- “Our attitude toward life counts more than our ancestry.” —Roy L. Smith
- “In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.” —Eva Burrows
- “Families are the compasses that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.” —Brad Henry
- “In every conceivable manner, the family is the link to our past, bridge to our future.” —Alex Haley
- “It is indeed a desirable thing to be well-descended, but the glory belongs to our ancestors.” —Plutarch
- “Family is not an important thing, it's everything.” —Michael J. Fox
- “Who has fully realized that history is not contained in thick books but lives in our very blood?” —Carl Jung
- “What is the use of living if it not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?” —Winston Churchill
- “There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human, are created, strengthened and maintained.” —Winston Churchill
- “Mother, who has an absolute belief that it is not the cards that one is dealt in life, it is how one plays them, is, by far, the highest card I was dealt.” —Kay Redfield Jamison
- “One can live magnificently in this world, if one knows how to work and how to love, to work for the person one loves and to love one’s work.” —Leo Tolstoy
- “A single newspaper report gives you your reputation; a life of toil gives you your character.” —Author Unknown
- “The measure of a man's character is not what he gets from his ancestors, but what he leaves his descendants.” —Author Unknown
- “You can tell a lot about a man by the happiness of his wife and the respect given him by his children.” —Author Unknown
- “I've learned that education, experience, and memories are three things no one can take away from you.” —Author Unknown
Why Read and Share Adages About Family?
Family quotations help you remember the importance of your family and overcome those short-term annoyances that occur when your family members treat you like you are five years old. I like to post them on the bulletin board, on the refrigerator, on post-it notes by my computer, and all around the house to remind me to keep the minor issues in perspective. They help keep me on track with my goals and help me remember to treat my family with respect and dignity.
Additional Adages About Family Relationships
- “It is by observing the flow of events in a large time frame that we are sometimes able to discern their direction.” —Author Unknown
- “The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.” —Author Unknown
- “The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.” —Author Unknown
- “Nothing is so contagious as example, and our every really good or bad action inspires a similar one.” —La Rochefoucauld
- “The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.” —Thomas Jefferson
- “Family love can be a bore, but only when you are hearing it, never when you are relating it to the ones who will be carrying it out for you. A family without a storyteller or two has no way to make sense out of their past and no way to get a sense of themselves.” —Frank Pittman
- “If the family were a fruit, it would be an orange, a circle of sections, held together but separable—each segment distinct.” —Letty Cottin Pogrebin
- “In time of test, family is best.” —Burmese Proverb
- “Family faces are magic mirrors. Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future.” —Gail Lumet Buckley
- “Family isn’t something that’s supposed to be static, or set. People marry in, divorce out. They’re born, they die. It’s always evolving, turning into something else.” —Sarah Dresden
- “Parents were the only ones obligated to love you; from the rest of the world you had to earn it.” —Ann Brashares
- “When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching—they are your family.” —Jim Butcher
- “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” —Mother Teresa
- “Let us make one point, that we meet each other with a smile, when it is difficult to smile. Smile at each other, make time for each other in your family.” —Mother Teresa
- “We cannot destroy kindred: our chains stretch a little sometimes, but they never break.” —Marquise de Sévigné
- “I'm inspired by the people I meet in my travels—hearing their stories, seeing the hardships they overcome, their fundamental optimism and decency. I'm inspired by the love people have for their children. And I'm inspired by my own children, how full they make my heart. They make me want to work to make the world a little bit better. And they make me want to be a better man.” —Barack Obama
More Family Mottos and Quotes
- “This is part of what a family is about, not just love. It's knowing that your family will be there watching out for you. Nothing else will give you that. Not money. Not fame. Not work.” —Mitch Albom
- “Sticking with your family is what makes it a family.” —Mitch Albom
- “Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more.” —Robin Hobb
- “Family scandals should not be raised outside.” —Chinese proverb
- “Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things, in which smiles and kindness, and small obligations given habitually, are what preserve the heart and secure comfort.” —Humphrey Davy
- “Family is the last and greatest discovery. It is our last miracle.” —James McBride
- “The house does not rest upon the ground, but upon a woman.” —Mexican Proverb
- “The best inheritance a parent can give to his children is a few minutes of their time each day.” —M. Grundler
- “The family is one of nature's masterpieces.” —George Santayana
- “Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.” —Anthony Brandt
- “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” —Theodore Hesburgh
- “We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies.” —Shirley Abbott
- “I sustain myself with the love of family.” —Maya Angelou
- “You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.” —Desmond Tutu
- “An ounce of blood is worth more than a pound of friendship.” —Spanish Proverb
© 2012 Shasta Matova
Marian Cates from Columbia River Gorge, WA on March 21, 2016:
Great quotes. I typed some of them into a Word doc and may put them on what I am calling Message Tees in my main online shop. Thanks so much for the inspiration!
Suzie from Carson City on August 13, 2015:
And that's the truth, SFAM! No argument here. Friends are sometimes our Chosen family.......In my case, I miss my bio sister so very much, I feel close to women who remind me of her!.......Peace, Effer
Linda Bilyeu from Orlando, FL on August 13, 2015:
Family doesn't have to be blood, family is who we make it. :)
Shasta Matova (author) from USA on September 29, 2013:
Thanks Linda. I really do enjoy quotations especially the ones about family.
Linda Bilyeu from Orlando, FL on September 27, 2013:
Hi MT, This is a thoughtful and inspiring hub! Awesome quotes.
Shasta Matova (author) from USA on December 28, 2012:
Thanks Terrye, Paula, HO, Kimberly, Dianna, Aurelio, Blossom, Rajan and Georgie. Family is everything and these quotations help remind us to keep that in perspective. I appreciate your support and friendship this year and look forward to continued friendship for the New Year!
GH Price from North Florida on December 22, 2012:
I love good quotes and, especially this time of year, family is more important than anything. Great job, Shasta! :)
Rajan Singh Jolly from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on December 16, 2012:
All these quotes are just awesome! Family is one that supports one another through thick and thin, that binds everyone like glue yet is flexible enough to allow each one to breathe and grow.
Bronwen Scott-Branagan from Victoria, Australia on December 14, 2012:
Wow! A lot of research went into this hub and it shows.
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on December 14, 2012:
Eugene Levbid rings particularly true for me. For me, even though it's just one family, my relations number in the thousands, so there are more family members than even my Facebook friends. Voting this Up and Interesting.
Dianna Mendez on December 13, 2012:
Love family quotes. Especially the wise sayings - you only have one family and Family is not an important thing, it's everything!
Kimberly Vaughn from Midwest on December 13, 2012:
Great list of family quotes! I was not familiar with most of these. I especially liked the ones about mothers. I am going to have to share those with my mom.
Hawaiian Odysseus from Southeast Washington state on December 13, 2012:
Voted up and across, shared, and saturated with social media channels! I love everything FAMILY, and these wonderful sayings, beautifully presented in your hub, are worth seeding throughout the earth. I'm doing my part! Thanks for sharing, Millionaire Tips!
Suzie from Carson City on December 12, 2012:
MT....Absolutely LOVE this. Every quote is meaningful...interesting...touching. I'm a huge "Family-is-everything-person!"......It's the way we were raised and quite simply, how it is. It never occurred to my sister and I to have any other BEST friend than each other. Yes..we had friends, but not like one another.
This was a very enjoyable hub and I thank you for writing it!! ...UP++++
Terrye Toombs from Somewhere between Heaven and Hell without a road map. on December 12, 2012:
What a brilliant way to keep part of your family history alive! Voted up and sharing. Simply brilliant!
Shasta Matova (author) from USA on December 12, 2012:
Thanks ReverieMarie and vespawoolf, these quotes make me feel all warm and fuzzy about my family and makes me appreciate them more.
Vespa Woolf from Peru, South America on December 11, 2012:
I love the Mexican proverb "The house does not rest upon the ground, but upon a woman" (so simple yet so true) and Winston Churchill's quote (eloquent). This is a great resource for the uses you mention in your intro. Thank you!
ReverieMarie from Tuscaloosa, Alabama on December 10, 2012:
I love the Ray Bradbury quote. His writing is so eloquent and masterful, but so simple. His book Dandelion Wine is one of my favorites.