31 Quotes About July and Its Significance
As summer heats up, activities in the month of July provide opportunities to strip the jackets and matching shoes in favor of sleeveless wear and sandals. We enjoy the beach parties, the neighborhood barbecues, and nature hikes that distract us from the warm weather that makes them possible. Sporting events are often on the agenda as well.
Below, you'll find 31 quotes—one for each day of the month—about July and what makes it unique. Some of the quotes remind us of dates with rich historical significance, while others challenge us to ponder the meaning of the month in a more abstract sense. Let's raise our spirits—and our glasses—in celebration of mid-summer's joy!
About the Fourth of July
1. "This, for the purpose of this celebration, is the 4th of July. It is the birthday of your National Independence, and of your political freedom. This, to you, is what the Passover was to the emancipated people of God." ―Frederick Douglass
2. "You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4th, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." —Erma Bombeck
3. "Independence Day, July 4th, or as I know it: Out with the British day!" ―Steven Magee
4. "Watching everybody have such a fantastic time, loving life, loving America―I wish that was the feeling year-round, that it didn't take the Fourth of July for us to be like, 'Yeah, America is awesome.'" ―Tim Kennedy
5. "It’s Fourth of July weekend, or, as I call it, Exploding Christmas.” ―Stephen Colbert
About Christmas in July
6. "Thinking back to when it's warm outside. Oh, why couldn't Christmas be in July?" ―Haley Mary Artzab
7. "Being a traditionalist, I'm a rabid sucker for Christmas. In July, I'm already worried that there are only 146 shopping days left." ― ohn Waters
8. "When Christmas comes in July I often serve plum pudding pie with hot coffee or tea of chai; while air conditioning's on high." ―Paterson Mooney
9. "The hype for Christmas in July certainly seems quite widespread across the States . . . and is also a great excuse to party." ―Shelley Roes
10. "But here I am in July, and why am I thinking about Christmas pudding? Probably because we always pine for what we do not have." ―Joanna Franklin Bell
About Insights On July
11. "July is a blind date with summer." ―Hal Borland
12. "The summer looks out from her brazen tower, through the flashing bars of July." ―Francis Thompson
13. "Those who in July do wed,
Must labour for their daily bread. . .
Married in July with flowers ablaze,
Bitter-sweet memories in after days."
―New Zealand Proverb
14. "July, that lovely hell, all velvet dresses and drapes stuffed into a hot little hole." ―Laura Kasischke
15. "I have always had a certain aversion to heat. And for me, the name of the game on the stage is 'beat the heat.' It's always July under the lights." ―Bob Weir
16. "July is high burglary season because so many people leave town." ―JeanChatzky
17. "If ant hills are high in July, the coming winter will be hard." ―American Folklore
18. "There comes a time when people get tired of being pushed out of the glittering sunlight of life's July and left standing amid the piercing chill of an alpine November." ―Martin Luther King, Jr.
19. "My life, I realize suddenly, is July. Childhood is June, and old age is August, but here it is, July, and my life, this year, is July inside of July." ―Rick Bass
20. "I only deepen the wound of the world when I neglect to give thanks for the heavy perfume of wild roses in early July and the song of crickets on summer humid nights and the rivers that run and the stars that rise and the rain that falls and all the good things that a good God gives." ―Ann Voskamp
About July in History
21. "Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969 AD. We came in peace for all mankind." ―Neil Armstrong
22. "Presidential power was overruled by the high bench in July 1974, when President Nixon was ordered to turn over some audio tapes of his White House conversations, including the 'smoking gun' tape . . . revealing the Watergate cover up." ―Helen Thomas
23. "That feeling is one of the things that keep me going. On July 6, 1998, I became the WCW heavyweight champion of the world!" ―Bill Goldberg
24. "Everyone remembers where they were on 7 July 2005 when four deadly bombs ripped through the heart of London." ―Keir Starmer
25. "On July 28, 2006, I was very proud to become a citizen of the United States—the greatest privilege on planet Earth." ―Melania Trump
26. "The Chicago Declaration on Women in the Catholic Church, drafted in July of 2015 by Catholics for Choice, stated that it imagined a church where 'women are respected for their choices about their health, welfare, and lives.'" ―Anthea Butler
About July Memories
27. "Noises and smells, those can bring back powerful memories. I remember when I was going to school one Fourth of July, and there were a lot of fireworks going off. I knew that I was in Richmond. I knew that I was a college student. But I thought people were shooting at me." ―Kevin Powers
28. “They talk about big skies in the western United States, and they may indeed have them, but you have never seen such lofty clouds, such towering anvils, as in Iowa in July.” ―Bill Bryson
29. "The London trees are dusty-brown
Beneath the summer sky;
My love, she dwells in London town,
Nor leaves it in July."
30. "In the old parts of Nice, the family tables are out in the cobbled streets so that you can't drive past. They insist you join them at midnight on a hot July evening. So that's just what you do, abandoning the car." ―Mary Quant
31. "Summer at the Hollis household is all about us getting together and enjoying the pool." ―Rachel Hollis
- Alopecia Month for Women
- Education and Awareness Month
- Cell Phone Courtesy Month
- Eye Injury Prevention Month
- Family Reunion Month
- Juvenile Arthritis Awareness Month
- Purposeful Parenting Month
- Self Care Month
- Social Wellness Month
- Women's Motorcycle Month
- 30 June Quotes Featuring Sunshine and Flowers
In June, we see summer weather. All is set for fun times, and June brings the sunshine and warmth to accommodate the events. These 30 quotes highlight the sunshine and flowers that make June the beautiful month that it is.
- 31 Quotes About August: The Summer's Finale
These 31 quotes include gentle reminders about some of summer's favorite ingredients (like sunshine, flowers, fruits, and more) that add to our joy as we celebrate the season. August sure has some impressive qualities!
© 2020 Dora Weithers