30 Quotes Comparing Friends and Enemies
Friends and enemies are a natural part of our adult lives. While some might prefer to live in a world of friends only, enemies can also contribute to the quality of our lives.
Some people say with pride, “I have no enemies.” It would be more accurate to say that they feel no hostility toward anyone, or that they do not know the people who feel hostile toward them. We may not be intentional about making enemies, and we may never identify some of them, but our mature, healthy attitude toward everyone is to be as friendly as possible, whenever possible.
In the following 30 quotes, we will learn to value both our friends and our enemies, and we will discover that there is room for both.
Similarities Between Friends and Enemies
1. "Know that you are your greatest enemy, but also your greatest friend." ―Jeremy Taylor
2. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." ―J.K. Rowling
3. "Wine is a turncoat; first a friend and then an enemy." ―Henry Fielding
4. "Time can be an enemy or a friend." ―Joseph Brodsky
5. "Friends are nothing but a known enemy" ―Kurt Cobain
6. "Friendship or enmity is everywhere an affair of time and circumstance" ―Thucydides
7. "Saturday and Sunday were sworn enemies until one day when they both decided to sit down and talk. They found out that they both liked the same food. . . the same drinks . . . the same sports . . . the same TV programs . . . They became the best of friends after that, and the rest is history." ―Anthony T. Hincks
8. "Sometimes our greatest enemies on the ego level are our very best friends on the soul level." ―Catherine Carrigane
Differences Between Friends and Enemies
9. "Your friends will believe in your potential, your enemies will make you live up to it."―Tim Fargo
10. "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." ―Martin Luther King Jr.
11. "Don't be afraid of enemies who attack you. Be afraid of the friends who flatter you." ―Dale Carnegie
12. "The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend." ―Aristotle
13. "I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects." ―Oscar Wilde
14. "Help someone, you earn a friend. Help someone too much, you make an enemy." ―Erol Ozan
15. "A friend should always underestimate your virtues and an enemy overestimate your faults" ―Mario Puzo
16. "He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare,
And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere. "
―Ali Bin Abi Thalib
17. "I'd rather have an enemy who admits that they hate me, than a friend who secretly puts me down." ―Karen Salmansohn
18. "Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty." ―Stephen King
Converting Enemies to Friends
19. "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" ―Abraham Lincoln
20. "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy to a friend." ―Martin Luther King Jr.
21. "Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, ‘Love your enemies.’ It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. . . Just keep being friendly to that person. Just keep loving them, and they can’t stand it too long." ―Martin Luther King Jr.
22. "It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion." ―Mahatma Gandhi
23. "We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them." ―George Orwell
24. "You can always befriend an enemy if you stay kind, give them a second chance, and make them understand why you did it. Be trustful, but not naïve." ―Tamuna Tsertsvadze
There’s A Place for Enemies
25. "To be successful you need friends and to be very successful you need enemies." ―Sidney Sheldon
26. "It takes your enemy and your friend, working together, to hurt you to the heart: the one to slander you and the other to get the news to you." ―Mark Twain
27. "We should also respect the enemy in our friend." ―Friedrich Nietzsche
28. "It is a good man who stands up for his friends, but an honorable man who stands up for his enemies." ―Violet Haberdasher
29. "A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." ―Baltasar Gracian
30. "Enemies aid in making us better. . . I look at their disapprovals as an opportunity to keep improving myself. Sometimes the enemy sees more truth of you than your friends." ―Levon Peter Poe
For which of these quotes do you have the best proof that it's true?
© 2020 Dora Weithers