Esrom Aritonang enjoys reading and sharing funny, inspirational, and thought-provoking quotes.
Albert Einstein (1879–1955) was a supergenius scientist who became famous for his theory of special relativity, among other scientific achievements. Since his death, he has become a well-known symbol of intelligence and creativity in popular culture. His quotes, which range in topic from the importance of humor and silliness to the concept of mortality, are shared around the world on t-shirts, mugs, stickers, and other memorabilia. This is a curated list of some of his best and funniest quotes about love, life, success, knowledge, atheism, God, and religion.
A Short Biography of Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein was a German-American physicist. He was born in the city of Ulm in Württemberg, Germany, on March 14, 1879. He won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921. A few years later, he moved to the United States where he became a lecturer and mathematics professor at Princeton. His activities and pursuits in America related not only to science but also to political and social issues. He was a known pacifism activist and a famously absent-minded professor.
How I Chose These Quotes
After doing some research, I decided to focus this article on Einstein's simplest, shortest, funniest, and most unique quotes. I've divided the list into the following five categories:
- Philosophy and life in general
- Success and motivation
- God, religion, and Atheism
I hope you find some inspiration and laughter in Einstein's words. I know I have!
Funny Quotes About Love
- "Love is a better teacher than duty."
- "Falling in love is not at all the most stupid thing that people do—but gravitation cannot be held responsible for it."
- "No, this trick won’t work . . . How on Earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
- "Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed."
- "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."
About Philosophy and Life in General
- "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
- "I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
- "A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."
- "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
- "Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school."
- "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber."
- "If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
- "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."
- "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving."
About Success and Motivation
- "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods."
- "The value of achievement lies in the achieving."
- "Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them."
- "Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts."
- "The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable of receiving."
- "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
— Albert Einstein
- "You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
- "If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things."
- "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."
- "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."
- "Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
Read More From Holidappy
About God, Religion, and Atheism
- "God always takes the simplest way."
- "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
- "I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil."
- "I want to know God’s thoughts; the rest are details."
- "I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."
- "God is subtle but he is not malicious."
- "Morality is of the highest importance—but for us, not for God."
- "All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
- "True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness."
- "God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
- "No, and one life is enough for me." (in response to the question, "Do you believe in immortality?")
- "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."
- "The search for truth is more precious than its possession."
- "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."
- "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
- "There's a genius in all of us."
- "Information is not knowledge."
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."
— Albert Einstein
- "The man of science is a poor philosopher."
- "Truth is what stands the test of experience.
- The only source of knowledge is experience"
- "I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive."
- "The truth of a theory is in your mind, not in your eyes."
Bonus: Albert Einstein's Favorite Quote of All
Albert Einstein himself loved quotes and sayings. He had a favorite one, too. Do you know what is it? Here his favorite quote, which is also printed on a sign that is hung in his former office at Princeton:
“Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts.”
Questions & Answers
Question: I am convinced that God does not play dice, what does this quote mean?
Answer: Albert Einstein wrote: “Quantum theory yields much, but it hardly brings us close to the Old One’s secrets. I, in any case, am convinced He does not play dice with the universe.” It was addressed by Einstein to Max Born (one of the fathers of Quantum Mechanics) in a letter that he wrote to Born in 1926.
Einstein’s disagreement with the fundamental concept of Quantum Mechanics that at the quantum (i.e. atomic) level nature and the universe are totally random, namely events happen by mere chance. It uncertainty that Einstein disagreed with.
If quantum principles use to probability of throw dice, only predict how probable an event is to happen (like how many probabilities are there for six to come out when we throw dice). To express that he strongly disagreed, Einstein wrote, "He (God) does not play dice with the universe". Simply said, God as the creator, put an logical laws or principals in all creations, but science did not discover it yet.
Today, many people use the quote out of the context of quantum theory, or people used it in their own context. When you fall in in love with someone and becomes a lover, but few month then you found your lover cheated, and you said, "Why God send him to me?" I can said to you, "God does not play dice with the universe..."
For more explanation: https://www.stmarys.ac.uk/news/2014/09/physics-bey...
Question: What did Mr. Einstein mean by the "not everything that count can be counted and not everything that can be counted, counts."?
Answer: The above quote, often misattributed to Albert Einstein, but some said it is from the sociologist, William Bruce Cameron. The quote is hung in Einstein's office at Princeton. As Daniel J. Siegel wrote in his book, A Journey to the Heart of Being Human, he interpreted that quote as "not everything that is measurable is important, and not everything that is important is measurable".
Question: Love is a better teacher than duty, what does it mean?
Answer: "Love" in this quote can be said as "passion" too. If you love your job or work, then you do it with all of your heart. But if you don't, you just do it as "duty", likes only cares about what the teaching topic, explain it to students, give exam, evaluate it, and etc. But a teacher who teach as "love" or "passion", they cares their students, help them to learn, encourage and appreciate the student achievement, help the student with difficulties to learn, motivates the student to loves their learning. Student known well the type of their teachers. Just ask the children around you who is the teacher they loves and hate. you will find that the teacher who loves most surely is the teacher who teach with love then duty. And, the teacher they hate is who teach just as "duty".
If you are parent, when you teach or help your child to learn such homework, which one is your types?
Question: What religion was Einstein?
Answer: As long as I know, Albert Einstein did not follow a specific kind of religion. He has his own philosophical views about his religiosity.
I prefer said he is an agnostic or in his own words as "religious nonbeliever", rather then said as atheist, because he ever said, "I am not atheist". If you want to know more about his Religious and philosophical views of Albert Einstein, see the link below:
Which of Einstein's Sayings Is Your Favorite?
kate rosser on September 07, 2020:
I think it's a little unfair to quote Einstein on god the way you have. Einstein most certainly did NOT believe in god as an individual creator, he believed in the physical laws of the Universe. As he said in his letter to Gutkind "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish"
prachi shethiya on July 29, 2020:
they were really very helpfull. thanks a lot. Albert Einstein was really a great person. i am fan of his simplicity towards his work and even people
freedom moday on June 23, 2020:
His quote is a wise saying.
Nazmul Hasan on May 31, 2020:
You are so much intellegent.I'm proud of you..
Argwings on May 14, 2020:
Albert Einstein's wisdom is natural & God given ,, I love how he lived a simple life of research & quest for the theory of relativity time space amuses me ...
He's quotes keep me going
Abdul hafiiz on May 04, 2020:
I really love all albert's quotes
mohammad on April 16, 2020:
Thank you so much
Kenenisabekele305@gmail on December 31, 2019:
Best love qoutes
mr.Triam on December 08, 2019:
you are the best author Albert Einstein cause you motivate me to fit in this contempolary world..marvellous work
GachaBelle on October 03, 2019:
Nice work! :3
Tk on July 18, 2019:
you are the best albert because of you motivate me
elnino on February 15, 2018:
my favorite is "the only reason time exists is so that everything doesn't happen at once"
Brandon Hart from The Game on February 02, 2015:
I like Einstien's quote saying: "If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
asif on March 13, 2014:
Very nice collection. ..
Mitko on April 21, 2013:
My favorite quote from Einstein "I am thankful to all those who said NO to me, it's because of them I did it myself."
Awais on June 20, 2012:
einstein give us a lesson of life that which way turn your life to became successfull .amaizing quotes .
EJLevy on March 14, 2012:
"Be it what they seem to be things aren't always what they are."
Jay on February 28, 2012:
This is my favorite quote from Mr. Einstein "I am thankful to all those who said NO to me, it's because of them I did it myself." ^J^
htodd from United States on November 20, 2011:
He was really a great star..
mr peabody on July 18, 2011:
I read part two first, but either way it was a very enjoyable read thank you for the effort of putting this together
RAMAN BRAR on June 21, 2011:
Nice hub. i really enjoyed it. so thanks for sharing
Hemu on March 16, 2011:
I never know Sir Albert Einstein is so one liner.
Genna East from Massachusetts, USA on January 29, 2011:
I liked this hub; it gives us a bit of a window into Albert Einstein, the man, and his humor and insight. Thank you!
albert einstein quotes on December 02, 2010:
Einstein quotes are very helpful in real world life. thanks for sharing.
royalbert on November 22, 2010:
Nice hub. I really liked it reading