I love Christmas and I enjoy sharing facts about the holidays.
These Christmas-centric quotations range from sharp-witted, hilarious one-liners to more serious and thought-provoking expressions of feeling. Over the years, countless celebrities, politicians, religious leaders, television actors, poets, and authors have shared their thoughts about Christmas and the traditions associated with it. Below are my favorites—I hope you enjoy them!
Famous Christmas Sayings
- "The only real blind person at Christmas time is he who has not Christmas in his heart." —Helen Keller
- "There is a better thing than the observance of Christmas day, and that is, keeping Christmas." —Henry Van Dyke
- "Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful." —Norman Vincent Peale
- "Christmas has a way of bringing out the best in everyone." —Bing Crosby
- "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." —Burton Hillis
- "Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart." —Washington Irving
More Holiday Quotes
- "Christmas is a day of meaning and traditions, a special day spent in the warm circle of family and friends." —Margaret Thatcher
- "Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas . . . perhaps . . . means a little bit more." —Dr. Seuss
- "Mankind is a great, an immense family. This is proved by what we feel in our hearts at Christmas." —Pope John XXIII
- "The Christmas spirit—love—changes hearts and lives." —Pat Boone
- "Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas." —Calvin Coolidge
- "Bless us Lord, this Christmas, with quietness of mind; teach us to be patient and always to be kind." —Helen Steiner Rice
- "I heard the bells on Christmas Day; their old familiar carols play, and wild and sweet the word repeat of peace on earth, good-will to men!" —Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "Peace on earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day." —Helen Steiner Rice
- "At Christmas, all roads lead home." —Marjorie Holmes
- "Don't expect too much of Christmas Day. You can't crowd into it any arrears of unselfishness and kindliness that may have accrued during the past twelve months." —Oren Arnold
- "My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?" —Bob Hope
- "I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying 'toys not included.'" —Bernard Manning
- "I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph." —Shirley Temple
- Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people once a year. - Victor Borge
"To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To a customer, service.
To all, charity.
To every child, a good example.
To yourself, respect."
—Oren Arnold on Christmas gift suggestions
Christmas Quotes From Charles Dickens
- "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." —Charles Dickens
- "I have always thought of Christmas as a good time; a kind, forgiving, generous, pleasant time; a time when men and women seem to open their hearts freely, and so I say, God bless Christmas!" —Charles Dickens
- "Once upon a time—of all the good days in the year, on Christmas Eve—old Scrooge sat busy in his counting-house." —Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
- "There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas." —Charles Dickens
estela on December 08, 2011:
the best i miss christmass is mass de gallo..
RiYa Sachdeva on November 24, 2011:
I Really Like It.....
Read More From Holidappy
glassvisage from Northern California on November 19, 2008:
Ooh, thanks for Ripplemaker for linking to this Hub, and thanks to you for writing it! I love the mistletoe separators :)
funny christmas quotes on February 20, 2008:
These quotes are hilarious, I've never heard christmas jokes on a list. I may have to print these out and take these to work for a laugh. Absolutely love the stupid one liner -"I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, toys not included. - Bernard Manning" haha.-Rob
MM Del Rosario (author) from NSW, Australia on December 28, 2007:
-Thanks Whitney for dropping by - Christmas is my favourite season and I really enjoy making hubs about Christmas.
- Hi Ripplemaker - I miss attending Misa de Gallo - and eating bibingka after the mass...(lol)
Hi Mr M - thanks for the visit
MrMarmalade from Sydney on December 16, 2007:
What an amusing collection of funnies
Michelle Simtoco from Cebu, Philippines on December 15, 2007:
I just attended the first day of the misa de gallo in our village chapel. Christmas is one of my favorite seasons. Thanks for the christmas quotes...and yes, it would be nice when we learn to live Christmas every day. Merry Christmas. :-)
Whitney from Georgia on December 14, 2007:
Wow, once again great Christmas hub.
Continue to share the joy of the holiday.